We’re about to enter one of my favourite weeks of the year: the one where I get to wish you all a happy Star Wars day! “May the 4th be with you“. Oh, and let’s not forget the Tour de Yorkshire coming to Penistone! I wonder how many sections will work something Star Wars related to their programmes?
Reminders & key information:
This edition’s reminders:
All Beavers colonies are meeting at their usual times at their normal locations.
Back to basics camp – Please remember to let us know if your beaver scout will be joining us for our “Back to basics” camp at Silverwood in June. The dedicated event page is here.
Bella Vista – We are heading to try out martial arts at Penistone’s Quest Taekwondo. Note the earlier session time of 18:00 to 19:30hrs – we will meet at Quest Taekwondo. Dedicated event page here.
Raptors – Thurlstone school is unavailable to us this week due to elections. Please keep an eye on your email for details of where we will be meeting.
Alegre – Please meet at the Scout Hut at our normal meeting time.
Enigma scout troop
- Cycling badge – Engima scouts (Mondays) need to make sure that they come on their bikes please ready to cycle to Dunford Bridge. The forecast is quite cool, so please make sure your scout wears a base layer, warm clothes and has waterproofs. A scarf and gloves would be beneficial given the wind is generally head on as we cycle to Dunford. Helmets are mandatory; a front bike light may be beneficial. Parents/Guardians are welcome to also come along for the ride; adults – if you’re joining us, please let Shauna know.
- 1st birthday – Monday scouts, please remember to confirm your attendance (via OSM) of Enigma’s first birthday party @ Hesley Wood on the 14th May. The £5 fee can be brought on the evening, or paid in advance.
- 7th May (no meeting) – Enigma scouts will not be meeting on Monday 7th May due to it being a bank holiday.
Viernes scout troop
- Silkstone walk – Our Friday troop will be meeting at Silkstone Common train station at 19:00hrs this week. The scouts will be walking from Silkstone Common back to Penistone. Collection time will be from the scout hut at 21:15hrs. Please can parents ensure Scouts are dressed warmly with suitable footwear. Torches are optional, a uniform is not required but neckers are. We will be calling into the chip shop before returning to the Scout Hut, so please send your scout with a little spending money.
- Caving trip – Sunday 6th May will see 15 of our scouts heading underground. Monies for this are now overdue so please bring them on Friday in an envelope with your child’s name on the front and a note stating what it’s for.
Wibbles scout troop
- Cooking extravaganza – This week sees the finale of our Wednesday troop’s Chef badge.
Chocolate bingo – After three weeks of food-related evenings, explorers are going to enjoy chocolate bingo, plus a surprise! Please remember to bring with you a monetary donation for the jamboree fundraiser.
Subzero sleepover – This week is the final week for payments against the planned sleepover at Ice Sheffield. Please make sure you get these to your section leaders.
Tour de Yorkshire refreshments – We will be running a refreshment tent on Friday 4th May for this year’s Tour de Yorkshire event. In addition, members of our jamboree contingent will begin cycling the 3710 miles between Penistone and the Jamboree site in West Virginia, USA to raise funds towards the cost of the trip.
Static loan bikes needed – we need a couple of lightweight static exercise bikes for our jamboree TDY challenge. If you could loan us one, please get in touch with Alison, she’d love to hear from you.
With the reminders out of the way, let’s recap the week and see the additional footage.
Enigma @ Cycle Penistone
Scouts from our Monday scout troop have been working toward their cycling badge. This week we were very grateful to Cycle Penistone for giving up their Monday evening hosting a session on bike maintenance and much more.
Swimming @ Calypso Cove
Bella Vista and Alegre cubs went to the Metrodome in Barnsley swimming. A fantastic time was had by all the young people.
Bella Vista Spring Camp
Cubs from our Bella Vista pack held their first camp of 2018 this weekend. They went for a walk to their namesake, Bella Vista, at Hartcliffe and climbed the tower. On Saturday afternoon they built stretchers, went on an assault course then headed out for some wide games. On Sunday they held a scavenger hunt around Penistone.
Raptors complete their Navigator activity badge
Raptors have been ploughing through their badgework with cubs completing the Navigator activity badge during this week’s pack session.
We had a smashing bag packing at Cortonwood Morrisons this week. A fabulous £800 raised. Thank you so much to Morrisons and the shoppers.
Wednesday scouts (Wibbles) were all over their cookbooks this week; they’ve been spending the last few weeks working on their Chef’s badge.
Farm to fork
All three beaver colonies were at Penistone Tesco for their postponed Farm to fork sessions. One of the highlights of the trip being the fish counter! Our beavers were in equal awe and disgust at the gutting process, with Lisa being the talk of the colonies! Many thanks to Tesco for hosting us.
Fire Station / Homemade pizza
Thankfully, Penistone Fire Station staff weren’t called out this week! Half of the Friday troop enjoyed meeting the firefighters, getting to see some demos and the facilities at the station. Many thanks to the team there for having us. The remainder of the troop were back at the Scout Hut making pizzas from scratch.
Boot Bank and Waterproof Wardrobe
Did you know that the group have a boot bank and waterproof wardrobe based in the main entrance hall?
This is a group led initiative. All waterproofs and boots are welcome!
Featured image credits: iDJ Photography (Flickr - Creative Commons)