Reminders & key information:
This edition’s reminders:
Castors – Unusually, Castors are meeting on Monday 29th at 18:30 until 19:45 (yes it is half term but Brian didn’t realise that when he booked it) for our Spanish lesson.
- Look out for “Fast Forward” next Sunday, which is the end-of-holiday version of “Rewind“; “Fast Forward” will include reminders and key information about the week commencing 5th November.
- It will soon be Remembrance Sunday. This is the only compulsory event in our group calendar. Please make sure that your young person will be available. Full details regarding meeting times for the parade and service will be shared soon – the dedicated event page can be found here.
- Uniform – If your young person needs a uniform, we need you to place orders via our website. You can find our web store right here. We take PayPal, or you can choose to pay cash on collection.
- Mandatory GDPR training – In line with the recent emails, please make sure you’ve completed the training module and send your completion certificate to the included email address.
- First Aid training – Just a reminder that we have some spaces remaining on the adult first aid training course (4th Nov). For details of how to book a place, please see the dedicated event here.
With the reminders out-of-the-way, let’s recap the week.
This week Boomer Beavers has a session with Amigo Kids, learning Spanish greetings and phrases as an introduction to the international activity badge. After the holidays, we will be finishing off the rest of the badge work. Thanks to Amigo kids for an exciting evening! Boomer beavers also met Bernie the Beaver who will be going home each week with a different young person along with a case of equipment. This gives an excellent opportunity for the beavers to work towards their photography activity badge.
Bella Vista has a spooky evening of fun and games and lots of sweets and goodies.
Wibbles Troop went hoverboarding this week and had great fun. Scouts mastered the balancing skills quickly and were whizzing around the obstacle course with ease. Everyone agreed that they would love to go back and do this again sometime. Thanks to Tom at Swegway Park for staying open for us!
Alegre cubs learnt about healthy eating this week and made fruit kebabs, veg kebabs and made spooky Halloween biscuits. Massive thanks to Sharon and Richard for helping the leader team out for cover this week.
The jamboree team delivered 6000 leaflets to households in Penistone and surrounding areas and this weekend collected textiles for recycling. At a guess, there must be nearly 2 tonnes collected so let’s hope the agents bring a big van! Thank you post here.
Barnsley District Awards night
Several members of our group attended an awards night and were presented with their section’s highest attainable awards. District Commissioner, Tina Langley, had the following to say, “Congratulations to all our young people who have gained their Chief Scout Awards, Young Leader Belts and their Duke of Edinburgh Bronze and Silver Awards. A fantastic evening at The Fairway Inn, Dodworth surrounded by a brilliant bunch of young people, not forgetting their leaders who provide a programme to enable them to achieve these and their parents and families who make sure they can take part. Well done to all.”
Congratulations to all the Explorers who received Chief Scouts awards recently. These included Young Leader belts and Duke of Edinburgh awards, everyone should be very proud of their achievements.
International activity badge
Explorers also completed the 3rd session of their International activity badge this week and cooked up some culinary delights. The winning team was presented with some cookbooks but everyone did a great job and proved that they can really cook well.
Viernes Scouts spent their Friday evening carving pumpkins. They were so engrossed in the task, they couldn’t believe it was genuinely the time to clean up come clear down time! We’d like to extend a thank you to Tesco Penistone for donating a third of the pumpkins!
Sorry we didn’t get a picture
- Enigma Scouts took advantage of the mild October weather and enjoyed playing classic wide games such as capture the flag in the dark
- The Raptors completed their ‘collectors’ work this Thursday. They’re looking forward to the half-term week off, but are excited about creative tasks for Remembrance Sunday the first week back!
- Castors had a spooky Halloween night