Reminders & key information:
This edition’s reminders:
Castors – will be looking at different Christmas traditions around the world. Normal time and place.
Boomers – will be making a start on our Christmas activities this week with a craft night. Beavers are welcome to come in old clothes as they may get messy! Normal time and place.
Millstones – will not be meeting on Friday. We will; however, be part of the Carol Service on Monday.
Alegre – please look out for an email about your programme this week.
Bella Vista – will be meeting at the Scout Hut and hosting a special visitor for an evening of railway safety.
Raptors – will not be meeting this Thursday. We will; however, be part of the Carol Service on Monday.
Cub sleepover – some cubs have been helping this weekend with preparations for next weekend’s sleepover. We have been holly picking in readiness for wreath making on Saturday morning. Can all outstanding balances for camp be made at the Carol Service, please? Thank you.
Enigma – will not be meeting this week because we will be at the Carol Service instead.
Wibbles – scouts will be at Laser Zone in Huddersfield. No uniform is required and please don’t forget to bring a drink if needed, though refreshments can be bought there if you have some change.
Viernes – our programme this week is in the hands of the Young Leaders. If any special requirements come to light, Richard or Rob will email during the week.
Christmas sleepover – The Enigma/Viernes Christmas Sleepover deadline is the 14th December. Please make sure you’ve returned your £8 monies to Shauna or Rob ASAP.
Abseiling – monies for abseiling are almost due. Please, if you owe for this – let Shauna or Rob have them this week
Monopoly Run deposits – we have a handful of spaces available on the Monopoly Run; if you’d like to book a place, please see the event page for further details.
- Our group’s Carol Service will be held at St. John’s Church, Penistone on Monday 3rd December. This is a family event to which all the group’s members and their families are welcome to come. A reminder to please bring some change for the collection and donations to Ghana Outlook. Please see the event page for full details.
- There will be an EGM (Extraordinary General Meeting) of Penistone Scouts’ Scout Council on Saturday 5th January 2019 at mid-day. This will be held at the Scout Hut to allow the Scout Council to receive and consider the financial report for 2017-2018 as we were unable to table this at the recent AGM.
- We recently kicked off Penistone’s World Scout Jamboree 2019 contingent’s Christmas Tree collection service bookings system. If you’d like your Christmas tree to be taken away and recycled on the 6th January, please see this post for full details.
- Our group maintenance weekend will take place over the weekend of 5th to 6th January 2019. We’d love your support; please see the link for details and to let us know if you can help. We have a BBQ on Saturday night of the weekend as a thank you / social.
- Leaders, please send through to Laura and Rob details of things that you believe should be tackled during the maintenance weekend.
With the reminders out-of-the-way, let’s recap the week.
Castors had a good night on their Christmas crafts. A big thank you to the parents that came to help and were working to ensure the snowmen Santas were made safely. All the Beavers created a Snowman Santa, a Snow Globe and Bauble – so that is the start of decorations for the tree. We hope they all made it home safely and the smarties stay inside the bauble until Christmas. The beavers worked so hard that we managed to get all the craft activities sorted in one night.
Boomers had a visit from PC Tom
Boomer beavers had a visit from PC Tom this week who is part of the policing team based at Penistone. The Beavers had the opportunity to find out more about Tom’s role within the community and ask questions about the specialist equipment he wears when at work. We also learned lots of exciting facts about lots of different police vehicles and had the chance to not only to sit in the police car, but also to play with the siren!
We also welcomed two new Beavers to the colony who got invested whilst wearing handcuffs!
A huge thanks to PC Tom and South Yorkshire Police for tonight’s visit.
Scouts take part in a drumming workshop
Viernes drug talk
Come Dine with Enigma
Sorry, we didn’t get a photo:
- Millstones completed their International Badge
- Alegre took part in festive crafts
- Enigma Scouts teamed up with Viernes and spent Saturday bag packing at Asda, Barnsley. Thank you for allowing your efforts. We had a lot of positive feedback on your good manners and behaviour from the public. It was a very successful day raising £865 for the troops.